Area: 45 million km² / 17 million sq mi
Population: 4 billion
Asia is both the world’s largest continent and the world’s most populous continent. The landscape includes the frozen tundra in the north, the baking deserts of the Middle East, a vast coniferous forest, and the Himalayas - the world's largest mountains. It is bordered by the Pacific Ocean (east), Indian Ocean (south) and the Arctic Ocean (North)
- Asia covers 8.7% of the planet’s surface area and 30% of its land area.
- It is home to 60% of the world’s population, comprising a wide variety of ethnic groups, cultures, environments, economics, historical ties and government systems.
- Large areas of Asia are uninhabitable, but there are huge grassy plains and fertile valleys beside the Indus, Mekong and other large rivers.
- In the southeast of Asia, there are thousands of volcanic islands, many of which are covered by tropical rainforests.
- The highest point in Asia, and the planet, is Mount Everseat at 8,850 metres.
- Despite its large size (5,200km wide), China only has one time zone. The time was set after the 1949 civil war.
- The longest river in Asia is the Yangtze in China.
- The combination of the populations of China and India represents 33% of the world’s population.
- Japanese laws make it illegal for males and females over 40 years to have a waistline larger than 33.5in and 35.4in, respectively.
Dubai (United Arab Emirates, Asia)
The sixth leg of the World Marathon Challenge takes place in Dubai, the most populous city and emirate in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The City is located on the southeast coast of the Persian Gulf and is one of the seven emirates that makes up the UAE. Dubai is regarded as a cosmopolitan metropolis and is firmly established as a business hub for the Middle East. Historically its economy was largely driven by oil production but in more recent years the focus has moved to tourism, aviation, real estate and financial services. The City is also famed for its sky-scrapers and high-rise buildings and in particular the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa.
|Location||Expected Temp °C|