Area: 8.5 million km² / 3 million sq mi
Population: 36 Million
Australia is both an island country and a continent, lying between the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Its varied landscape includes a hot, dry centre (known as the Outback), tropical rainforests, snow-capped mountains and beautiful beaches. It is the smallest and lowest lying human-inhabited continent on Earth.
- The continent lies entirely south of the equator and roughly two thirds of Australia is made up of flat desert.
- The majority of Australia’s population is concentrated on the southern and eastern coasts.
- Western Australia (the largest state in the country) is almost the same size as Europe
- The Great Victoria Desert is about one-and-a-half times the size of the United Kingdom.
- The Snowy Mountains, commonly referred to as the Australian Alps, receive more snowfall than the country of Switzerland.
- Australia is the driest inhabited continent. Its interior has one of the lowest rainfalls in the world and about three-quarters of the land is arid or semi arid.
- Over 200 different languages and dialects are spoken in Australia including 45 indigenous languages.
The third marathon of the 2018 World Marathon Challenge will take place in Perth.
|Location||Expected Temperature °C|
|Novolazarevskaya / Novo
|Cape Town, South Africa||+25|