The 2018 World Marathon Challenge ® is a logistical and physical challenge to run 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days. Competitors must run the standard 42.2 km marathon distance in Antarctica, Africa, Australia, Asia, Europe, South America and North America within 168 hours, or 7 days. The clock starts when the first marathon in Antarctica begins in January 2018.
SUMMARY FACTS ABOUT THE WORLD MARATHON CHALLENGE
- The World Marathon Challenge ® is the only event that offers the opportunity to run 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days.
- The first marathon will occur within the Antarctic Circle on mainland Antarctica and the final marathon will take place in Miami, North America.
- The global route is Novo (Antarctica), Cape Town (Africa), Perth (Australia), Dubai (Asia), Madrid (Europe), Barranquilla (South America) and Miami (North America)
- After the first marathon in Antarctica, competitors will fly by charter plane to every marathon location around the globe.
- Successful participants will be recognised by The 7 Continents Marathon Club™, which provides the definitive list of marathoners on all 7 continents.
- Successful participants will also be recognised by the Intercontinental Marathon Club ®, which provides the definitive list of marathoners on all 7 continents within 7 days.
- There is a competition element within the trip - the fastest combined marathon times for male and female categories will be declared the outright winners.
- Participants will run 295 km (183 miles) over the seven-day period and spend about 45 hours in the air.
- The Book of Alternative Records will recognise the event for world record purposes, including fastest combined marathon times for 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days.
- The Guinness Book of Records also acknowledges the event for record setting purposes.
- The 2015, 2016 and 2017 World Marathon Challenges were resounding successes.
CURRENT WORLD RECORDS FOR MARATHONS ON 7 CONTINENTS IN 7 DAYS
Fastest Average Marathon Time (Men) - Michael Wardian (USA): 2:45:57 hrs
Fastest Average Marathon Time (Women) - Becca Pizzi (USA): 3:55:11 hrs
Fastest Duration (Men) - Richard Donovan (IRL): 4 Days 22 Hours 3 Minutes
Fastest Duration (Women) - Guoping Xie (CHN): 6 Days 8 hours 30 Minutes